much sadness

Stop by and say Hello.
RED THE GREY
Still Looking for Slim

much sadness

Post by RED THE GREY »

I have been on this site off and on checking if there is anyone on here its such a shame it isnt used hardly anymore I try to go out there as often as I can last time was around July of this yr... I am part of a small group who take care of the mining cabins in the area and its great to get out here when we can... wish there were more of us who cares...
garyw
Flea-Bitten Desert Rat

Re: much sadness

Post by garyw »

I don't know why you would say that . The truth is there a huge number of folks that take care of the cabins. I include myself in that group and know of many others. We might not all belong to "a group", but I would guess that responsible individuals or friends do a lot more than groups claiming to perform up keep. Take for instance the Minnietta which is maintained the the sierra club. I've been there while there leaving and found the place completely trashed. Spend my first day picking up trash they have left behind. On the other end of the spectrum are the worker brothers and FOB. Those folks put in an amazing amount of effort and expense keeping those 2 cabins in tip top shape. I salute them. I understand Tom is no longer in the area but his brother is taking up the slack with a bunch of dedicated volunteers.
LarryW
Trailer Trash
Rig: 78 K5 Blazer

Post by LarryW »

Yep. Every time I visit a cabin I usually spend the first day cleaning it and the surrounding area of trash and other crap. The cabin that needs the most attention right now is the Osborne. Last time I was there it was thrashed... I plan on bringing some cleaning supplies with me next time and spending a few days out there. Another place that could use some work is China Gardens. The pond is completely grown over with thick reeds. The gold fish are still there but everything has grown over so much that the pond is hard to even find. I'd like to grab up some friends and clean that place up too. Someone has painted the old mill structure and then big rock with grafitti. We need to clean up that crap as well. I don't know why people seem to think that stuff is art. It's vandalism in my book.

As far as this forum is concerned I didn't really like it as much when it filled up with thousands of unknown people. I like it much better now and just wish more of the old core group would chime in once in a while. :camping:
D.A. Wright
Panamint Valley Miner Emeritus
Rig: 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5

Post by D.A. Wright »

LarryW wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:23 amAs far as this forum is concerned I didn't really like it as much when it filled up with thousands of unknown people. I like it much better now and just wish more of the old core group would chime in once in a while. :camping:
That was my reason for starting the “Slow Decline” thread, hoping to spur some of the old group to at least say howdy. Not many of the old guard has stopped in, such as BadTux, AndyR, B-spec and others. However, since I started the thread, activity has picked up somewhat. And that’s good.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.
LarryW
Trailer Trash

Post by LarryW »

D.A. Wright wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:47 pm
LarryW wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:23 amAs far as this forum is concerned I didn't really like it as much when it filled up with thousands of unknown people. I like it much better now and just wish more of the old core group would chime in once in a while. :camping:
That was my reason for starting the “Slow Decline” thread, hoping to spur some of the old group to at least say howdy. Not many of the old guard has stopped in, such as BadTux, AndyR, B-spec and others. However, since I started the thread, activity has picked up somewhat. And that’s good.
I'll see what I can do to stir up those three and get em back over here. FB is one of the main things killing forums like this. I don't do FB for a whole lot of reasons. Let's see if I can light some fires under some butts. :camping:
D.A. Wright

Post by D.A. Wright »

The rare time I've opened Facebook was by following a link. Then as soon as my eyes focus on the page what I came there for is instantly buried in an avelanche of paywalls and pop ups. That is an instant turn off for me. That was years ago. With all the BS that has risen from and has come to light from the septic tank that is FB, I want nothing to do with it.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.
SoCalMonty
Flea-Bitten Desert Rat
Rig: 2000 Mitsubishi Montero

Post by SoCalMonty »

LarryW wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:23 am As far as this forum is concerned I didn't really like it as much when it filled up with thousands of unknown people. I like it much better now and just wish more of the old core group would chime in once in a while. :camping:
I used to do a lot of performing arts for a Civic light opera in SoCal. The theatre itself was a nice 760-seat venue with a full orchestra pit. Our producer only catered to the locals and the regulars, choosing things that they would like to see...paying no mind to the suggestions of the younger patrons. After about 20 years, that core group-who were all seniors-had all died. Literally.

And since the theatre had done nothing for the newer/younger groups, it couldn't stay afloat. They went out of business and disappeared forever.

And I thought one of the main reasons we were here was to prevent things from disappearing forever.
-Sean
Olympia, WA
LarryW
Trailer Trash

Post by LarryW »

This club got too big. I'm not into crowds. It's just me. I like a smaller group.
garyw
Flea-Bitten Desert Rat

Post by garyw »

Agree 100% It's not like I don't think others here or in the desert should be allowed. I personally think that if you didn't make an effort thru personal effort to find out on your own, you haven't earned the right to comment much. I remember (not always but sometimes) when the old deathvalleytalk web was going some person complaining about all the regular posters who were wise enough to not give up locations that there was a bunch of old folks keeping wannabees from having fun and finding cools spots (so they wouldn't ruin and trash places) as selfish, protectionists of places like we owned them ourselves. How selfish we were, and other such things. I say once again "the internet has and will continue to ruin and destroy these rare and getting rarer places. I've been driven out of PV because of over crowding, obnoxious people with no respect for others or the area.I'm a slow driving, low impact lover of the desert. Lately i'm just becoming a high age, less visiting lover of the desert.
I'm not done just yet. But all these high dollar new Rubicons are just getting tiring to help when they break down out back.
Garyw
PS: 84 4-runner with new engine that still has no power. But with lockers and gearing will still outclimb and flex U
CandaceS
Panamint City Resident

Post by CandaceS »

I have a Facebook account, and I've never seen any paywalls or popups on Facebook. :dunno:

Is the PV in general really that crowded? The last time I was there was early September 2020 and I sure didn't see many people around. But it was still rather warm.
D.A. Wright

Post by D.A. Wright »

CandaceS wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:46 pm I have a Facebook account, and I've never seen any paywalls or popups on Facebook. :dunno:
I don’t have a FB account, thus the paywalls and popups. Modern social media doesn’t interest me. Then again, I just don’t have the data (cellular only in my area) for such nonsense.
D.A. Wright