Panamint City Apples

Stop by and say Hello.
Desertman1
Indian Ranch Roadie
Rig: 2014 KIA Sedona

Panamint City Apples

Post by Desertman1 »

Does anyone know the best time to visit Panamint City to get apples from the tree at Shotgun Mary's. I was told October, but I went last Ocober and the tree was bare and no fruit or dried apples on the ground.

Thanks all.

Richard Elliott
Manteca, CA
Norman Johnson
Panamint Valley Miner Emeritus
Rig: "60 Willys wagon

Re: Panamint City Apples

Post by Norman Johnson »

I have apple trees at my cabin in the San Jacinto Mountains (5,300') that are volunteers. They rarely give apples. There are trees in town that do produce apples with greater regularity.

In PC, the elevation probably prevents apple trees, even those which can produce apples in that environment, from having a yearly crop. Apples like cold climates, generally, and there are many, cold climate apple varieties; however, I would doubt that a tree in Panamint City would be a consistent producer.

NJ
"You can't tell by watching a bunch of mules rolling in the dust which one can fart the loudest." Sherman Wilhelm

"In case you should ever get the idea you'd like to be a prospector or miner, remember, you don't have to be crazy, but it would help a lot." Jack Mitchell, DOD 10-28-1954
LarryW
Trailer Trash
Rig: 78 K5 Blazer

Post by LarryW »

There's a fantastic apple tree at 4100 ft north of Lone Pine at the base of the Inyos. Just south of Reward Mine. Don't know if that means anything but that tree really produces. Green apples that are great in pies.
Desertman1
Indian Ranch Roadie
Rig: 2014 KIA Sedona

Post by Desertman1 »

Thanks Larry and Norman. I'll have to check out the apples near Lone Pine.

--Richard